Sunday, October 26, 2008

The first of a few of these...

First, I feel the need to explain how the "Wilson Fast" has come about. A few weeks ago, my good friend called me and left me a wonderful voicemail asking about booger's allergies. She felt called to pray and fast for him, and since she is not able to completely fast (mamma's rules) she chose to fast his allergies. This touched me in many ways, and I felt called to join her. In fact, I felt called to fast his allergies from November 1-6. As I began to discuss the sacrifice my friend and I were planning, several other close friends chose to join us. Some for a day, others the entire time we are. Some are choosing one allergic food, others are fasting all of his allergies.

The booger is allergic to the following foods:
  • Peanuts
  • Tree Nuts
  • Milk
  • Egg
  • Soy (soy lecithin and soybean oil are safe)
  • Bananas
  • Peas
  • Beef

I am sure a lot of you can not imagine a day without some of these foods, let alone a lifetime. Some of these allergies are anaphylactic, which can be deadly. This has caused a lot of stress and worry for our family, and has caused a complete uprooting of our lives. We must check everything that comes into our home, car, environment. Things such as Halloween, parties, family outings, etc. have become a nightmare trying to ensure his safety. We have learned a lot, and have much much more to learn. The point is, we are submitting ourselves to God's plan right now for our family and letting Him guide these results.

I feel this is necessary right now in my walk for a lot of reasons, some of them:

  • I need to understand fully exactly what it means to live as my son is living. This means to avoid foods that I love (some of which I already am,) and to try to not complain. I feel that this will make me a stronger person and a better, more compassionate mom.
  • This sacrifice will allow me to come up with more allergy-friendly recipes and hopefully be more creative with his foods.
  • To show God that I am willing to sacrifice food, which I love, for my son. I know it's nothing in comparison to what He sacrificed, but it's something.
  • It will hopefully give me a healthier view of food in my life. As a friend said, to prove that food is for sustenance and to survive, not to be gluttonous.

People are choosing to pray for several things during this time, and I am hoping to be allowed to share a lovely email the friend who started this sent this weekend which moved me beyond words. Her vision for this little boy is amazing, and I never knew one friend could cause me to cry so much (brat! lol.) Right now, I am feeling called to pray for healing and understanding for booger. I am praying for him to not be discriminated against or people to not include him from things as he gets older. Honestly, I just want him to be as normal of a boy as he can be. I don't want him to be forced to worry about everything he puts in his mouth his entire life.

The point is, I am humbled beyond belief at the way this has grown and the number of people who are showing their love and support for our family. Throughout the next two weeks I will be posting recipes, foods, and encouragement for those choosing to follow. Please feel free to leave comments, encouragement, or to pray for all of us participating in this challenge, but please please please pray for our son. These allergies are getting worse and growing in number as he ages, and I am praying for a complete and total healing. So thanks, friends, and anyone who wants dinner during that week, come on over. Just let us know how much to cook!

1 comment:

heather honaker said...

yay dawn! please keep me updated. i wish i was down there. i miss home. i miss you. sending hugs and lots of prayers! love you!