Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring has arrived!

Spring is here, and boy are we ready to play outside! I have been trying to take Wilson to the park as much as possible, and I think it's as good for me as it is for him! He just got his first soccer ball, and it might have replaced J as his best friend. Everything right now is about soccer and "my soccer ball." It's the funniest thing, and I can't wait till fall when he can start soccer.

We found out last week that Wilson has Sensory Processing Disorder, but I'm not exactly sure what that means yet. A book I was directed to by one of our therapists, "The Out of Sync Child" tells me that it is "the inability to use information received through the senses in order to function smoothly in daily life." I haven't gotten too far yet, but so far, everything describing a sensory-seeking child seems to be all Wilson. I am certainly interested to see what else this book has in store. We are also waiting on a report from the wonderful woman who did his assessment on exactly what she saw when she spent time with him at his daycare. I am anticipating this will shed some light as to what we as his parents can do to best satisfy our little monster.

We are working on finding an occupational therapist who is available to take him on as well as wondering exactly how "therapy-friendly" his daycare truly is. As of now, they are showing quite a bit of resistance and a serious lack of concern for his best interest (IMO.) While I realize they have a job to do, we need to do what's best for him. I am currently exploring options recommended by his PSC and assessor.

At this point, I'm just praying that we get things moving quickly and in a direction that is the most effective method for Wilson.

On a side note, Happy Happy Birthday to our friend Jill. Our family loves you and your boys, and we hope today is fabulous.

2 comments:

velma96 said...

So glad you're finally getting some answers!! We have a family at church who's little boy also has Sensory Processing Disorder. If you'd like, I would be happy to talk to them and get some info, or possibly put you in touch with them...

Jill said...

thanks for the b-day wishes and coming out to play Sunday!